Please join us as we celebrate Church of the Heavenly Rest’s 150th anniversary!
It all began in 1866, in the first heartsore months after the end of the Civil War, as a group of New Yorkers gathered for healing prayer and mutual support in the hall of the Rutgers Female Institute at 42nd Street and Fifth Avenue in New York City. Soon they were joined by two Episcopal clergymen, the Reverend Thomas K. Conrad of St. John’s Church, Staten Island, and the Reverend Robert Shaw Howland of Holy Apostles Church in at Ninth Avenue and 28th Street in Chelsea. Advertised as a chapel of Holy Apostles, the group quickly evolved to the point where it was ready to become an official Episcopal parish in its own right — which it did on May 18th, 1868.
The Reverend Howland was named as rector, with Conrad as associate rector. Ground was purchased for a new church building on Fifth Avenue, just above 45th Street. The new church’s foundation stone was laid in 1868, with services first held there in October 1868.
Through the spring of 2018, we will be celebrating a century and a half of Church of the Heavenly Rest’s life as a spiritual haven in New York City. Look for the display of historical photographs in the narthex and Darlington Hall. If you have an idea for an event or project, please let us know!